There is often much debate about drop-side cots over fixed-side cots. With so much contrasting and conflicting information, it can leave many parents-to-be wondering which is the best option! If you are having trouble deciding, keep reading for Mocka’s quick pros and cons of drop-side cots.
Drop-side cots have three fixed sides, and one side which can slide up or down to make it easier for parents to pick up and place the baby back into their cot. Despite their initial popularity, drop-side cots have now been banned in the USA and Canada, and in Europe drop-side cots are required to lock in the dropped position for additional safety.
Here are the main benefits of a drop-side cot:
PROS OF A DROP-SIDE COT
- Drop-side means parents don't have to reach over as far to pick up or place down a baby
- It's easier to lay a child down without waking them
- Beneficial for parents with back problems
- Easier to change bedding on the cot mattress with the side lowered
- Drop-side cots are a more traditional design so can be easier to find second-hand.
However, there are many negatives to drop-side cots which must be taken into account when selecting a new cot for your baby.
CONS OF A DROP-SIDE COT
- Wear and tear on latches can become a serious safety concern with drop-sides mechanisms failing
- Can be difficult to unclasp a latch and drop the side while holding a sleeping baby
- Some drop-sides can be noisier to operate around a sleeping child
- Due to moving parts, drop-side cots are not always as sturdy as fixed cots
- Often cannot easily be converted to a toddler bed
- Often more expensive than the fixed-side equivalent
- Starting to be phased out with manufacturers and retailers due to declining popularity
Overall it is really up to you and what will suit you and your baby best. At Mocka we stock a full range of fixed-side cots and cot mattresses, all of which are manufactured and tested in accordance with AS/NZS 2172 safety standards for peace of mind.
For any more information about fixed cots or drop-side cots, please feel free to contact us for assistance.