Keep warm this winter with a fun and delicious treat that you can make in the kitchen with your children. It’s quick and easy to make some tasty chocolate covered spoons that your family and friends can enjoy while sitting by the fireplace and rugged up in a cosy blanket. Everyone will love stirring their chocolate spoon into a cup of hot milk to make their very own, delicious hot chocolate. Your children can also give them out to their friends as fun winter gifts or hand them out as party favours for their guests to take home and enjoy (they even make a great winter party activity). It’s a treat that everyone will love.
What you’ll need
1. Milk, dark or white chocolate
2. M&M’s, sprinkles, small marshmallows or crushed candy
3. Large marshmallows
4. Spoons (plastic or metal)
5. Clear gift/party bags
7. A zip lock bag or a piping bag with a small nozzle
1. Begin by preparing your workspace. Start by lining up the spoons on a tray so that the spoons are level.
2. Place the chocolate pieces into a microwave safe bowl and melt them in the microwave at 20 second intervals or melt them in a double boiler on the stove. If using the microwave, ensure you stir between each interval. This will prevent your chocolate from burning.
3. Poor the melted chocolate into a plastic bag or zip-lock bag (or use a piping bag with a small nozzle). This will be used to pipe the chocolate onto the spoons. Seal the bag ensuring no chocolate can leak out.
4. Hold the bag up so that one corner is up in the air and cut a small piece from that corner, then begin piping the chocolate onto the spoons.
5. Pipe enough melted chocolate onto the spoons to reach the edges.
6. Put the tray of spoons in the fridge so that the chocolate can hardened slightly.
7. Remove the spoons from the fridge when the chocolate is firm but soft to touch and then begin decorating them with M&M’s, sprinkles, small marshmallows or crushed candy.
8. After the spoons have been decorated, put them back in the fridge to harden completely.
9. Once completely hardened, take a spoon and place it into a plastic gift bag. Add two marshmallows to make your treat even more delicious.
10. Add the finishing touches by tying a bow around the plastic bag and the spoon’s handle.
Your child will love handing out these delicious homemade winter treats to their family and friends. They will also enjoy stirring one into their warm mug of milk to make a yummy hot chocolate.