While other spaces in your home are shared with family and friends, your bedroom should be a place where you can unwind and have privacy. A tranquil and pleasing bedroom can provide a refuge from the stresses of everyday life. Bedroom furniture and design mistakes can create a room that is overly stimulating, uncomfortable and far from stress free. So check out our five bedroom furniture mistakes to avoid, to ensure your bedroom is a dream and not a nightmare!
1. Balance Over Symmetry Try to avoid having all the furniture in a bedroom (or house for that matter) match exactly. Matchy-matchy furniture not only looks dull, but can make an interior appear contrived. Balance is better than symmetry, experiment with furniture that compliments one another.
2. Clutter An overly cluttered bedroom is not a relaxing space to rest in. Instead of having a lot of furniture and décor, select one or two signature pieces and have the rest styled around these. This will have a lot more impact and be more pleasing to the eye. Get creative with storage options as well. Under bed storage is a fantastic or utilise vertical space with floating shelves and built in cabinets.
3. Lights Don’t worry about the overhead lights beyond your control (unless you wish to install a dimmer then the control is all yours!), secondary light sources are really what create great ambiance in a room and the choice is all yours. Soft light from side table lamps, floor lamps, pendant lights and even fairy lights will really create a pleasing atmosphere in a bedroom.
4. Hanging Artwork too High Hanging artwork or wall hangings too high can throw off a room and make it uncomfortable for guests to view. As a rule of thumb, artwork should be hung at eye level for optimal design. Instead of hanging, also consider just propping it up on a side table, mantle or sideboard. The variety will add interest to a room.
5. Not Measuring First When buying furniture online or in-store, come prepared and make sure you have the measurements of the space where it will be placed. This will ensure you don’t have an awkwardly positioned piece of furniture that throws off an entire room and will save you the hassle and expense of having to return it.